Saturday, April 30, 2011

5 weeks until the TdC

A couple of weeks ago I signed up to ride the Tour de Cure in Saratoga with a few members of The Court Club (my gym). My brother Jim is riding on the team, having just bought a new road bike. We've decided to do the 50 mile route which I find preferable to a century this early in the season.

I'm not doing much today as Iain's confirmation is scheduled for 1:30. I just made a pot of coffee and am getting caught up here, which is easier than doing any of the real chores I had thought I might get to this morning. Sandy and I are taking Bri, Iain, his sponsor George and George's wife to an early dinner after the Mass and if I'm home early enough and not too stuffed I may head over to the campus for a quick spin.

This week was pretty tough as far as training goes. I packed in 4 strength workouts but minimal cardio, not exactly optimal for my short and long term goals, besides, it kind of hurt. In retrospect I did not need the extra kettlebell workout last Saturday as we hit the upper body hard on Monday. I was still feeling it on Wednesday at BodyPump and during Thursday's kettlebell workout as well.

I had to skip yoga on Tuesday as I had to travel for work, probably just as well too. So that brings us to Friday, which is turning into ride day with Jim. Although the weather had been forecast to include some sun what I mostly experienced was wind and rain. Nice and sunny out right now, probably because I can't go out and ride...

Anyway we got in a nice enough, if not plodding 25 miles and some hilly terrain (
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/82367472)

I still see encouraging power numbers but I'll wait until I get a ride with a low VI to make any more quotations.





No comments: