Thursday, July 16, 2009

Don't waste time.


I hate starting over from scratch. Looking at my powerfiles I was forced to reconcile the fact that I rode only sporadically last year and finished up the season doing that ride with Thaddeus and Gabe at the battlefield. So now, I'm fat(ter), slow and have no power compared to where I was. Really disappointing after viewing the data from my last good indoor session before that string of bad ones. After going from 20-minute 200 watt intervals to having my leg burn from a 140 watt effort really destroyed my desire to get on the bike.

So I have to learn to keep things in perspective, because there's more at stake here than just wattage.

At least last night I was able to average 16.7 mph over a short haul at the campus and that is at least better than where I used to be and it doesn't feel like too far from 17.5 which would make me feel good.

I guess I should set a couple of goals but I'm going to think about them and start easier. I can break them down into physical and performance-related goals like:

Weight:
20 MIN NP
Time for 20 mile campus ride
Time for out and back loop.

I should also make some behavioral changes like:
Get control of the diet thing again as I've been slack about the late-night snacking.
Get out of the habit of staying up past midnight for no reason, or for relentless gaming.
Get into the habit of getting up before work and doing some kind of workout; treadmill, trainer, weights, heavy bag; bladework.
Get on the scale at least weekly and write down the weight.
Log all workouts but not get too worked up about performance hiccups.

So next time I post here I'll put up some goals and some data.





No comments: