Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Bench press fail

Had another disappointing experience on the bench last night. The coach at CE (Dyke) suggested I back off and do a set of 4 at a .5 to 1 lb over my last set of 4. That was 216 a few weeks ago. Naturally I told myself, "too light, I'll go heavier" and wrote 220 x 4 in my logbook. After deciding to try the same work set after a rest and wearing a shirt I backed that off to 217.5.** Well I only got 3 raw and managed a fairly easy 5 with the shirt. I decided to skip the leg workout as the strength component prior to the wod was enough to fatigue me. This made two workouts in a row where I haven't hit my planned work sets. (Last week I missed at (both) 248x2) It dawned on me as I pondered my aching delts and traps, that I hit pull up development after the morning wods. So I think I'll skip that stuff on bench days or do it last.

Today Chris was back in the house and we partnered up for strict presses. 5 doubles, last set was at 135. The metcon was an interesting 20 minute amrap of 14/10/6 OH lunge (65), ring rows (scaled), inverted burpees. One thing I don't think I'm too concerned with for now is HSPUs or derivatives. I lost count. Yesterday's wod was pretty fun. 5 rounds of 10/10 ring rows/pushups. (scaled from MUs, another thing not on my radar) 15 kb swings (32kg) and 50 SUs (scaled from DUs) all done at 1:1 work:rest. I shortened up my rest cycles by 30 seconds and was still able to hit each round pretty hard. Finished in 15:30. Monday was a mixture of fun & horror. First, a barbell complex of power clean, push press, hang squat clean done EMOM for 7 rounds. I went 4 @ 155 and 1 @ 165. Good weight, challenging but maybe a bit conservative. The squat clean was the limiting factor and needs to get addressed on my suck list. the metcon was pretty awful, 

3 rounds for time of:
25 ring rows (scaled from HSPUs), 
20 ball slams @ 20#
15 burpees
10 T2B, I just did kipping pikes. 

I have no idea how long it took me now because I didn't log it. 10? 12? An hour?

Post wod weigh in today, 230 lbs. Yikes, it has taken a long time to get here. I hope the next 10 come off faster.


**At CE, Dyke has gotten incredible results from his (drug-free) strength athletes by constantly incrementing the weight of every work set, even if only by a fraction. It works, it's what we do. You may not do it, so be it.   

2 comments:

Sonya said...

I'm not surprised at all that your bench number is down, because these have been some shoulder-intensive days recently. Longer term, though, I gotta think you'll come out ahead. I've had some luck in developing my Oly lifts with crazy light weights to build for technique and confidence, especially with getting under. Can chat more about it if you're interested?

Andy said...

I agree completely, especially regarding using very light weight on oly technique.

I have been doing negative rep pull ups and hanging shrugs and they really smoke the upper back. I just didn't realize how drastically it would affect my bp.

Def. catch up with this topic on chat.