Saturday, June 4, 2011

Tour de Cure weekend

I'm sitting here winding down after a de-load/recovery week feeling pretty good, ready to get back to work. Tomorrow, 5 (at least) of us from the Court Club are riding the Tour de Cure in Saratoga. It should be a relaxing 50 miles as I don't think there's any plan to try and hammer through it, although I'd be up for that. I've got nearly 500 miles in my legs this spring and I think my power number are promising. Jim and I did an easy 10 laps at the campus in stiff winds this afternoon and my 20 minute peak (NP) was a bit over 200 watts and I really only pushed for 3 miles and not all that hard.

We capped off our prep this past Monday, having ridden 4 straight days over the Memorial Day holiday, ending with a 42 miler that included some roads I'd never even driven on, and some real shitty blacktop too.

I included two strength workouts this week, BodyPump on Wednesday and Thursday night kettlebells. I throttled back in both workouts. Dropping weight during BP in the squat,chest,back and tricep tracks. During my kb workout I used the 20kg bell for 2 hand swings instead of the 24, and did most one-hand overhead work with the 16kg bell, jumping up to a 20 only for the last 2 ladders of C&Ps.

My biggest goal for tomorrow is to finish with gas left in the tank and hope my ass doesn't hurt too badly. Also, since I've been experiencing a lot of muscle tension and discomfort in my lower quads just above the knee, I want to try and get my feet out in front of my knees a bit more. I moved my saddle back about 1/4 inch and I may move my cleats forward a bit.

If the group decides to drill it for a while, I'll try and maintain close to 200 watts. I expect we're going to just cruise but who knows. Of the 5, I've only been out on the road with Jim and Shye, and the other two apparently do triathlons.

Am planning on shooting some gopro video so I should have pics to post.

No comments: