Sunday, January 13, 2008

Belated Happy New Year

Time to get caught up on things. Well, my diet made it through the holiday season relatively unscathed. A few days eating like crap then back to good habits. I really wanted avoid having my weight creep up but I'm afraid I've lost some ground. Currently am up to 221 from 216, but its been stable there since mid December.

High points: Cycling and running is going well. Fencing
is also going well. Had been feeling very comfy running up to about 30 minutes on the treadmill after a good warm up on the bike.

Low points: December 29 I tore my left calf muscle. Gimped around for a few days and couldn't get back on the bike for 5 days. Even then it still tightened up pretty badly on me. A combination of heat, ice, massage and stretching seemed to help things heal up. Today it feels almost normal.

I also have had some problems with the beta-blocker. I really felt wickedly fatigued and a bit dizzy for a few days. My regular doctor suggested I cut the dose in half and so far it seems to be helping. After a good hour long ride today I felt pretty good, then I pulled it running around at lacrosse practice.

Today I decided to stretch out the time on the bike, as I just mentioned. I also wanted to slip a couple of intervals in there. I didn't know what to expect so I set my sights low and tried for 2 x 2.5 mile efforts above 200 watts. Each interval took 8 to 8.5 minutes, and wound up with output of 206 and 211 watts. Sitting here now I'm pretty confident I could have kept t
he intervals going for 10 minutes, so I'll continue interval work with 2x10s and build from there. Hopefully I'll be able to run again by March 1st.

I happened to be talking to a couple of folks about comfort issues on the bike, and the topic of saddles came up. I had some really uncomfortable hours in the saddle until I switched to a design with a radical perineal channel. Here are a couple of pics of my Adamo ISM racing saddle. It takes a little getting used to, but it is comfortable, and you'll never have any numbness with this baby.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After riding in this saddle for more than month, what do you think of it? What did you pay and is it well worth it?

Andy said...

I had some comfort issues for the first 3 weeks or so. The pain was at the junction of my thigh and groin and while it was intense, it would fade quickly. Since then I have felt no discomfort whatsoever. At no time since mounting this saddle have I ever experienced any numbness. I paid around $150 for mine from here: http://www.all3sports.com/product_info.php?pName=ism-adamo

I love this saddle. I would pay more for another one. When this one wears out I will definitely buy another one. With 2000 miles or so on this one, it shows barely any wear. I would say that it is easily worth the money. Also, the vendor I bought it from was 1st rate. I recommend them strongly.

Good luck.